AAPI Data seeks to make policy research and demographic data on AAPIs more accessible to a range of audiences. We strive to keep our information current and useful, with data and research that are as rigorous and accurate as possible. We also regularly help journalists, community organizations, and decision makers make better sense of data and research.
The AAPI Data internship program gives undergraduate or graduate students an opportunity to participate in AAPI Data’s activities remotely. Interns will expand AAPI Data’s data repository, generate content for the Data Bits blog, or analyze data sets, amongst other possible projects—so we’re looking for writers, designers, and data scientists—motivated individuals that will help AAPI Data grow.
The internship program is tailored based on current organizational needs, as well as the skills each intern brings. We’re looking for interns that are skilled in any of the following areas:
- Writing or Blogging: Ability to translate data and research into narrative or stories to contribute to the AAPI Data blog, Data Bits.
- Research: Experience in doing independent research to expand the repository of research and data that we feature on our website.
- Graphic Design: Skills with CSS and HTML or the Adobe Creative Suite are preferable, to refine our visual presence online and in our infographic work.
- Data Analysis: Experience working demographic and survey data, knowledge of statistical methods, experience using STATA or R, Rmarkdown, Shiny, Tidyverse.
Qualifications and preferred skills:
- Available to work remotely at least 5-10 hours a week
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines
This internship is unpaid. To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “[INTERNSHIP]” in the subject line, as well as a few examples of your work in any of the areas listed above. For example, if you want to work on data analysis or programming, describe or send us data science projects you may have worked on in the past; or if you’re interested in graphic design, send us samples from your portfolio that you’ve created previously.
The deadline to apply for consideration for an internship this summer is April 30, 2018. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.