Are you a talented artist or graphic designer with a passion for showcasing the beauty and strength of Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander (AANHPI) communities?
This year, AAPI Data is tapping into the creative energy of our communities by launching a design contest: DATA IS EMPOWERING.
We’re searching for exceptional pieces of art and graphic design that can inspire movement activists and data nerds alike (including the growing numbers that proudly call themselves both)!
Winning designers will have the opportunity to have their stories published on our website and social media platforms, and we are looking to feature winning artwork in a variety of ways—including on our site and in Zoom backgrounds, T-shirts, stickers, and more—with prominent attribution/credit to the designer and their relevant web/social links.
Enter via our Google Form: Here
Click here to read the full guidelines and contest rules.
Questions to reflect on as you create:
- What does empowerment mean to you? Explore how the theme “Data is Empowering” resonates with your artistic and creative pursuits.
- How can your art amplify voices? Consider the role your design can play in amplifying the voices and stories of Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander communities.
- What emotions does your art evoke? Dive into the emotions your design conveys and how it aligns with the resilience and strength of AANHPI communities.
- What’s the story behind your creative process? Share the journey of translating the empowerment theme into your unique design and how it reflects the diverse AANHPI experiences.
- Why is data important in telling stories? Explore the power of data-driven narratives and how your design can visually communicate the importance of accurate representation.
- How does art connect cultures? Reflect on how your design bridges cultural gaps, fostering understanding and unity among diverse audiences.
- What does diversity mean to you? Discuss how your design celebrates the rich diversity within AANHPI communities and beyond.
- How can art drive change? Explore how your design contributes to the broader goal of inspiring positive change and empowerment within AANHPI communities.
- Why is community collaboration vital? Highlight the importance of coming together as artists, creators, and AANHPI community members to drive social impact.
- What message does your art send to the world? Dive deep into the message your design sends and the legacy it can leave in advocating for empowerment.
- Eligibility: The contest is open to artists and graphic designers residing in the United States. While all are welcome to apply, we will be giving priority to AANHPI contestants. Entrants must be at least 18 years old or have permission from a parent or guardian.
- Submission Guidelines: The submission deadline has been extended to September 27, 2023, at 11:59 pm PST. Enter via our Google Form: Here. Multiple entries are welcomed, either individually or as part of a group. Keep in mind that only one prize will be awarded per winning design. There’s no entry fee.
- Design Criteria: Your design should embody the theme “Data is Empowering.” Entries will be judged based on originality, how well they capture the theme, memorability, visibility, completeness for printing, feasibility for reproduction, and striking visuals. The winning entry will be chosen by a panel of AAPI Data team members and announced in October-November 2023.
- Prizes: The winning designer will receive a $500 cash prize. We anticipate awarding up to 5 winning entries, with the same prize value for each winner, regardless of team size.
- Design Specifications: Design size should be a maximum of 9″ x 9″, using a maximum of two colors on a white background. The design should be adaptable to various platforms like social media, shirts, printing materials, and stickers. Make sure your submission is saved at 300 dpi for quality output. Acceptable files include high-resolution AI and EPS files. If your design is chosen, you’ll need to provide the original high-res design compatible with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, or another professional design program.
**Disclaimer and Contact**
AAPI Data is not responsible for technical issues affecting your submission. In case of fraud or technical failure, we may modify the contest or award the prize through alternate means. Ensure that your contact information is accurate to avoid disqualification. If you have questions or concerns, please reach out to email@example.com and/or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stay updated on the contest by following us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, and Facebook.
We can’t wait to see your inspiring designs!